The Earth, yes this round ball we live on, we all need it and we are fully aware of the current issues affecting our environment so #DISTRICT is fully committed to doing our part to lessen the environmental impact of the festival footprint. There are a number of things you could commit to as well and lend us a hand in staying green.
Travel Wisely! Traveling to the festival makes up 80% of the total carbon emissions generated. You could save money, make friends and go green by traveling by Gautrain or Car Share.
Bin stations in the festival footprint are formed by 4 bins and will be monitored by staff and volunteers to ensure they are kept free from contamination;
- FOOD WASTE – Any left over food.
- GENERAL WASTE – In here put crisp & sweet packets, coffee cups & lids and cigarette butts, remember everything in this bin will get incinerated. (no used greasy pizza boxes as these do not recycle)
- COMPOSTABLE – All vendors are required to use biodegradable serving units.
- PLASTIC & TINS –
- Due to the problems that plastic waste causes to the environment all plastic bottles and cups sold at the Festival will have a deposit so we can make sure they get recycled. Deposits can be redeemed at the Bars.
- No bottled water will be sold, you can purchase an official Festival water bottle which comes with filtered water and complimentary top ups.
- No straws will be available.
The festival is committed in keeping the festival clean and green and we are working together to eliminate single use plastic items.